Job Title: Onsite Wellness Coach
Job Purpose: The wellness coach provides onsite, comprehensive wellbeing and injury prevention services that engage individual employees and the client’s whole employee populations in positive lifestyle initiatives that improve health and wellbeing, lower chronic disease risk, and reduce healthcare costs for the client. Their role includes proactively engaging employees around their health, wellbeing, and injury prevention to empower them with the knowledge, skills, and confidence to take an active role in their health and safety outcomes.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Health Promotion, Education, and Employee Engagement in Wellbeing and Safety Initiatives
- Plan and implement employee engagement initiatives that promote physical activity, healthy weight management, mindfulness/stress reduction, tobacco cessation, and other wellbeing-related activities that support healthy lifestyle modification and decrease health risks behaviors.
- Coordinate and lead group engagement sessions such as safety talks, stretch and flex programs, lunch and learns, seminars, and presentations that educate and motivate employees.
- Conduct blood pressure biometric screenings and body composition testing events that support whole population health and facilitate coaching interactions around results that lead to sustainable lifestyle modification and health risk factor reduction.
- Promote safety awareness and injury prevention initiatives and actively identify and refer employees to employer health and safety resources to lower risk and empower employees around their safety and musculoskeletal wellbeing.
- Facilitate and maintain high levels of whole population engagement by understanding client initiatives, unique safety and wellbeing needs, and client benefit resources.
- Actively educate and connect employees to client resources and benefits and support them in taking full advantage of participating in the resources related to their interests, needs, and goals.
- Follow and facilitate a proactive monthly engagement plan using the client site service delivery calendar and Wellness Coaches’ resource library.
- Work closely with other stakeholders, such as the client’s HR and benefits or safety teams to ensure that wellness and injury prevention initiatives are well-integrated into the overall client culture and benefits package.
Whole Population and Individual Health and Wellbeing Coaching
- Proactively engage employees along the transtheoretical model stages of the change continuum in a way that supports behavior change, health behavior change, and higher levels of health and wellbeing.
- Perform proactive site walks or rounds throughout the workday to maintain high visibility and accessibility presence among employees that aligns with Wellness Coaches’ companywide standard of 85% engagement.
- Actively promote employee health awareness, mental wellbeing, and body mindfulness to identify areas of focused interest and provide individual coaching and resources that support employees to take meaningful, sustainable steps to improve physical and mental wellbeing levels.
- Proactively offer individual blood pressure checks and body composition testing and facilitate person-centered coaching interactions that lead to sustainable lifestyle modification and health risk factor reduction.
- Conduct individual health consults, from brief impactful interactions to formalized health consultations, that explore employees’ interests and goals, identify and strengthen internal motivators, and result in personalized health improvement plans.
- Monitor employee health and behavior progress by reviewing data and adjusting coaching strategies as needed to meet the company’s behavior health risk reduction standards.
- Provide helpful resources from the Wellness Coaches’ library and other evidence-based sources that support the employee’s health interests, intentions, and goals.
- Provide referral coaching and resources when appropriate to maintain professional boundaries around the scope of practice and Wellness Coaches’ referral protocols as outlined in initial and ongoing Wellness Coaches’ training.
- Proactively engage employees in monthly health and safety topics identified on the client site service delivery calendar, engaging activities and questions that prompt thinking, behavior activation, and impactful interactions supporting health behavior change.
- Proactively follow up with employees to maintain and strengthen engagement and increase the frequency and impact of coaching interactions that support higher levels of health risk factor reduction.
Whole Population and Individual Injury Prevention and Safety Coaching
- Conduct daily proactive site walks or rounds to engage the whole employee population in mindful and safe work practices.
- Promote proactively employee body awareness and mindfulness coaching to identify bodily areas of concern that may lead to musculoskeletal injury and provide individual coaching and resources to support conservative self-management, injury prevention, or appropriate referral.
- Identify and address potential individual safety and musculoskeletal risks by proactively engaging, educating, demonstrating, and following up with employees to reduce risks for accidents and musculoskeletal injuries.
- Coach employees in their understanding and application of principles of continuous learning to improve workplace safety and reduce the risk of injuries.
- Proactively follow up with employees to maintain and strengthen engagement and increase the frequency and impact of coaching interactions that support higher levels of injury prevention and safety, both at the individual and whole population levels.
- Ensure timely and accurate data entry that documents and captures the full impact of all coaching activities and individual employee consults while protecting the privacy of the employee’s health information.
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary teams or client site vendors to ensure a coordinated workplace safety and injury prevention approach.
- Complete any additional client-site paperwork, documentation, and reporting promptly and accurately.
Daily and Ongoing Responsibilities
- Arrive and leave the client site according to the agreed-upon schedule and immediately communicate any schedule changes to the key site contact and operations manager.
- Be accessible with high visibility at least 80% of the day to maximize engagement and coach employees to health risk reduction in consults.
- Be highly familiar with the client site’s emergency and safety protocols to ensure a quick and effective response in case of an emergency situation.
- Manage time effectively and work independently to deliver the highest quality of onsite service to the employees and client.
- Ensure accurate and timely Wellness Coaches and client site data entry by the end of business each day to ensure the highest level of HIPAA compliance that protects each employee’s health information.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date data entry related to coaching activities, employee engagement, and other relevant information to ensure effective communication and reporting with the client and the operations or account manager.
- Maintain the highest level of confidentiality with the utmost discretion, follow the company’s policies and procedures, and follow all applicable privacy laws and regulations.
- Attend required team meetings and operations manager meetings to support a timely and collaborative approach to delivering the highest level of client service.
- Attend and actively participate in four live, yearly mandatory skill-building sessions, communicating with your operations manager if this is not possible to arrange for the timely completion of training recording and exam.
- Complete any additional Wellness Coaches’ trainings related to improving skills and maintaining compliance in a timely fashion.
- Maintain professional and timely communication channels with key site contacts, operations managers, and Wellness Coaches team members to foster a responsive and collaborative workflow.
- Work collaboratively with your operations manager, key site contact, and other onsite partners to ensure the highest level of attention and service to the client’s needs and goals.
- Ensure that any Wellness Coaches equipment or materials used in coaching are properly maintained, cleaned, and stored according to company guidelines.
- Demonstrate the highest level of professionalism when working collaboratively with other onsite partners and vendors, including all written and verbal communication, to represent Wellness Coaches’ highest standards of excellence.
- Ensure a positive, courteous, and respectful interaction with employees, management, and other stakeholders on the client site, fostering a positive and collaborative working relationship.
- Work collaboratively with Wellness Coaches and interdisciplinary team members to deliver meaningful and measurable outcomes related to risk factor reduction and chronic disease prevention and management.
- Communicate promptly and professionally with your operations manager regarding any concerns related to job tasks and responsibilities, key contact communication, onsite incidents, and concerns related to Wellness Coaches deliverables.
- Be familiar with all Wellness Coaches products, and provider services, including technology, referral process, nutrition, and clinical services.
- Associate degree with commitment to pursue National Board Certification for Health and Wellness Coaching.
- A strong background in injury prevention is highly desirable and essential for construction, manufacturing, and transportation settings.
- Demonstrated time management skills, ability to work proactively and independently in a fast-paced environment, and ease in prioritizing multiple tasks and deliverables.
- Highly personable and comfortable with proactive outreach to new people and populations.
- Strong presentation skills and confidence in sharing health information and coaching individuals as well as groups of all sizes.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in health sciences or a related field.
- 2+ years prior experience in health and wellness, wellness coaching, fitness, personal training, athletic training, nursing, PT, OT, or PT assistant.
- 1+ Years of health and wellness coaching experience or equivalent person-centered experience in fitness, nutrition, or health promotion roles.
- Experience utilizing behavior change science such as Stages of Change and motivational interviewing to support sustainable health behavior change.
- Proficient knowledge and skill in Microsoft Office and EMR/SOAP/ADIM data entry.
- Experience taking a manual blood pressure.